By: Kevin Allen
Hey family. My name is Kevin Allen. Some of you may know me and some of you may not. I’m a drummer originally from Queens, New York. I now reside in Atlanta, Georgia. My resume is not as lengthy as some of you guys, but I have worked with some notable artists. The artist that I will use as an example in this blog will be Antoine Hilton. Throughout my musical career I was always the person who people just loved to be around. Not only did I have a good mindset around other people, I always learned my music and always made sure I performed to the best of my ability every time I sat down. So when I got asked to work with Antoine, I had to be around 12 years old. We as a band and as the artist himself, always talked about our dreams and ambitions. One of those dreams was to one day perform on television. So for about 15 years we both continued to work at our crafts. We ended up moving separately away from each other geographically. He was still in New York and I was in Atlanta. He hit me up and told me that our opportunity that we have been working on for all this time was about to finally pay off. That’s when he told me about the gig on TV for Atlanta Live! Check it out here in this video: Artist Spotlight.
So that’s the story!
Here’s my top three pieces of advice:
- Stay consistent in your craft and never give up on your dreams.
- The biggest advice out of all of the advice I’m about to give you would be, loyalty. Loyalty is something that will take you a long way. If I would have never been loyal to Antoine in the beginning he would have had no reason to even call me for that gig.
- Another big one is character. If nobody wants to be around you for 30 minutes, they definitely don’t want to be around you for hours of taping for a TV show, so make sure you are being respectful and down to earth. Having good character and a good name is essential.
Media exposure can be a great thing, but can also be a bad thing for your career if you do not handle the situation right, and that stems from professionalism.
- Being professional at all times, meaning: be on time (which means get there early).
- Learn your music, and make sure you have the correct attire.
If you check off all of these tips, you will have the best time of your life doing what you love on the big stage. So there is my advice and my experience as it relates to how to get media exposure. It’s not hard to get that exposure, but it definitely takes patience. There’s all sorts of media exposure out there now with social media, podcasts, YouTube shows, etc. If you take my advice, you will definitely be on the right track towards achieving your goals! Peace & Love Stay Safe Fam. Thank you for reading! Kevin Allen Collision Artist
Kevin is an Endorsed Cruse Artist with Collision Drumsticks.
Based out of Atlanta, GA, USA, Kevin is a well respected worship drummer. He’s been featured on TV and knows a thing or two about having the right mindset to keep going after your dreams. To learn more from Kevin himself, here’s how you can get in touch: